Wordpress has become quite popular in recent years, hasn’t it? (Hey, it’s good enough for Disney’s official Star Wars Blog.) In fact, WordPress props up about a quarter of the Internet. So maybe you’re looking to switch, or maybe it’s just time to amp up the WordPress site you’ve already got. Either way, you’re staring down the barrel of something called PSD to WordPress Conversion.
It sounds scarier than it is. Really it’s just the process of taking your stellar Photoshop plans and turning them into a dynamic and functional WordPress theme. WordPress’ thousands of free options are great, but a unique design is what keeps your website from looking like “angsty teen WordPress blog #684”.
Not all conversion is created equal.
Now that you’re ready to offer up your Photoshop documents for conversion, you’ve got two options.
1. Conversion software
There are automated processes that will convert PSD to WordPress for you. Some companies use them to save time and a quick Google search will unearth websites that let you convert for free.
Sound to good to be true? It is. These programs are notoriously unreliable and have several major pitfalls.
- They’ll never get your design quite right. A computer lacks human judgment and some pixels will suffer the consequences, leaving you with an off-kilter design.
- Cross-browser compatibility may or may not be present. You need your site to be as functional in Chrome as it is in Explorer, to say nothing of mobile viewing. Conversion software is usually more of a “one size fails to fit all” procedure.
- You can kiss W3C validation goodbye. Code generated by software is inevitably buggy, and so it’s unlikely to pass markup validation, which is a crucial step to ensuring the quality of your website.
2. Hand Coding
This is the service Reliable PSD offers. With real, human coders you’ll avoid all the deal breakers listed above. There are some other nice perks, as well.
- Search Engine Optimization. A beautiful site’s no good if it’s never seen, right? Coding by hand lets us utilize the current best practices for SEO.
- Things can be altered. Manual conversion leaves your site with a much brighter future as the code will be loads easier to alter or augment if you have a design change of heart. (Wrestling with automated code is an unholy, expensive nightmare that we don’t want to talk about.)
We do want to talk to you, though!
Reliable PSD can handle all your PSD to WordPress needs and handle them well. We’re not the shortcut option, but we’re certainly the quality choice.